3600 Rogers Drive, Orlando, FL 32805
We are a PCUSA member congregation within the Central Florida Presbytery and the Synod of South Atlantic. WSPC is governed by the Session (Council) with active Deacon and Trustee Boards.
Reverend Erika Rembert Smith
Clerk of Session
Our staff is always available
from 9:00 a.m. to
2:00 p.m. Monday to Friday. Feel free to contact
us at 407-295-4741 or via firstname.lastname@example.org Following is a list of our staff:
Reverend Erika Rembert Smith
Commissioned Ruling Elder Agatha Wheeler
Cicily Youngblood, Gospel Choir
Naritha Thompson, HimSingers
Alvin Giles Jr., Youth Choir
Linda Browning, Gospel Choir
Antoinette Giles, Youth Choir
The Washington Shores Presbyterian Church is an outgrowth of a collaborated effort of Orange County Presbyterian Churches of the Saint John Presbytery, and the Washington Shores community. It was a dream of the Presbytery to one day establish an all-black Presbyterian church in the Washington Shores neighborhood.
In April, 1955 the St. John Presbytery set aside $3000.00 dollars for the establishment of a black Presbyterian church. In October, 1956 the Presbytery Home Mission committee, employed a black minister named Ernest A. Jupiter to serves as an organizer. Reverend Jupiter came to Orlando from Napoleonville, Louisiana. He was a graduate of Leland College, Baton Rouge, LA and Gammon Theological Seminary in Atlanta, GA. Reverend Jupiter was married to Del Alexa, a graduate of Spellman College and Atlanta University. They were the parents of 3 children, Ernest, Carolyn and Lolita. The Jupiters resided at 3406 Spaulding Road. Rev. Jupiter was short in stature but long in intellect. He had a stern facial expression but an affable personality. He began his work reaching out to people in the neighborhood. As he met people he would teach about the Presbyterian faith and invite them to come and experience Sunday services. Often times Sunday services were held under the Minister’s carport or at Jones High School.
On January 8, 1957, Reverend Jupiter was examined by the St. John Presbytery and transferred from the Congregational Christian Church and enrolled in the Presbytery with the power of an Evangelist. June 4, 1957, the St. John Presbytery instructed the Home Mission committee to sign the donation contract so that the Washington Shores Mission could receive $24,000.00 from the Negro Work Fund through the Board of Extension.
On October 8, 1957, Reverend Ernest A. Jupiter presented a petition from the Washington Shores Mission with 45 signatures requesting that they be constituted as a church in the area. A commission was organized, Sunday November 10, 1957, and church service was conducted by Reverend Oswald Delgado. Forty-five members were received by letter and by profession of faith and baptism. Reverend Jupiter administered the sacrament of baptism to fourteen infants.
Read full article
Join us for a Fitness and Nutrition Fair from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. The event will feature low impact exercise and nutrition by Sandra Murray Gultry, nutritionist/dietician.
Kickoff the summer with VBS
from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., daily. Come out and let the Word and the fellowship ignite within you a spark that can change the world.
Join us for food, fellowship and fun at our annual church cookout.
Additional details coming soon.